Monday, July 28, 2008

This is my job even when bad things happen...

Okay, it took me a little bit to find how I would talk about this incident, but I decided I need to just tell the story as it happened. Last Monday night I went back in to Jerusalem to work a night shift with a friend, and then help with practical tests for the new course that was about to end. During lunch I was asked to come with a friend on the ambulance to go to the office and getting supplies for a ceremony we were having later that day, and he said we would grab lunch while we were out. So we went to the office, picked up another friend while there, and got some food. We were driving back towards the course when the pager went off that there was a shooting 2 seconds away from where we were. Since we had an ambulance we were the neareast ambulance to the seen, and were asked to go respond to the call. We arrive on the scene and all I can see is soldiers and SWAT and Police and people everywhere. Then more ambulances started to arrive and other Conanim(1st responders) for MDA. Right in front of the ambulance I was on was a tractor that you could see someone laying there dead. I started to have a weird feeling while I waited for my 2 friends to come back from assessing the scene and let me know what was up. They then told me it was a terrorist attack not just a shooting, and that we were the first ambulance on scene. I kept my cool, and continued to do what was asked of me. There was a guy evacuated in the intensive care ambulance with a amputated leg, and then almost 20 other patients. The terrorist was the person shot, and he did in fact get killed. We took a person to the hospital as well with problems with his back from the car accident that resulted from this event. We were not able to go back to the course for a few hours after that or eat our food. I stayed calm throughout the entire event, but it was truly the first time I was afraid of anything here in Israel. I finally felt the feeling that Israelis feel every time there homeland is attacked. This is my other home, and I do not want to see people destroying it, and thats what hurt me more than anything. I wish there would just be peace.

4 comments:

Lady1226 said...

I understand this is the job you chose for yourself, but I have to say it is scary. I am so happy you will be home soon, and away from possible harm. There is plenty excitement in the United States too. I am so proud of all you did in the past 6 months, but now it is time to come home to your family. I love you.

Mommy

Unknown said...

E
I know that that had to be depessing for you but that is what goes on in isreal all the time you just have not been in the thick of it till now. This is why mom and I worry so much for you safety, and why we want you home to be with us. I believe that what you have learned and accomplished is fantastic and will help you in your career in the near future. It has been a wonderful experience for you and I am glad you made so many new friends. cant wait to see you and hug you on thursday the 7th,
Dad

Aunt Arline said...

What stories you'll have to tell your children. We all have a special feeling for Israel. It seems impossible for this trouble to be going on forever. There are so many accomplishments made by the Israelis; they have given their outstanding inventions to the world.

I remember seeing green fields with irrigation pipes spraying out water on one side of the road and the other side, not part of
Israel, a dry desert. Instead of putting their money into terror, why not irrigate and plant.

In Egypt, we say whole families living on large cemetaries, with
no real houses, just layers of tin as roofs.

It seems that peace is always in the future, but it doesn't come.

You are doing a terrific job and we are all proud of you. However, we look forward to your coming home; we have a cruise to go on.

Love, Aunt Arline

KINGSLAYER said...

Little sis, I am glad you were not harmed, but as Dad said this is what Isreali's go through regularly and it is extremely unfortunate but is the way the world is for now. We can hope, pray, negotiate & even try to force peace but peace will only happen when all parties agree that it must. Glad you are coming home can't wait to hear all about your experiences.

Love Adam & Suzanne